Monday, September 13, 2004

The weekend

A few things:

-Hope everyone had a good weekend. If ISU had won, it would have been even better, but I wasn't expecting a victory and was pleasantly surprised that the margin of victory was so lean.

-Here's an apt demonstration of exactly how out of touch with reality some liberals are. Today, in my editorial board meeting, I was greeted with laughs when I asked if anyone else thought the mass media was liberal. It was the sort of uncomfortable laughter you hear when someone starts talking about the voices they hear in their head or about their newly diagnosed STD. Basically, the other writers exchanged glances and tittered among themselves. I even was subjected to this epiphany from another writer: "Well, I think some outlets are conservative, like Fox News, and some are liberal, and some are center, but there isn't a disproportionate amount on one side or another."

It's hard to know what to say to people like this. I usually end up so dumbfounded that I'm at a complete loss for words. Personally, the Dems I've talked with have always countenanced that the mass media is on their side (and if they didn't directly acknowledge it, then they at least implicitly did by responding "well, conservatives have Fox News"). It's hard for me to really respect the opinions of people who can't acknowledge at least some basic truths about American politics: the media is liberal, Michael Moore is a scam artist, and Bush didn't "steal" the election. Anyway, this little laugh-in came after I'd spent 20 minutes pointing out why CBS needs to start answering questions about Bush's service (by the way, in response to my point, another writer said "I don't see what the debate is. We all know Bush skipped out on serving," thus not only slandering the president but completely ignoring the focus of the debate altogether), and with a "fuck it," I gave up on it.

It's getting old being the only conservative in there. It's also hard to reconcile the idea that booksmart people can ultimately be so stupid.

I'll throw this out to the group. Do liberals you know at least acknowledge that the media is on their side? For me, the fact that the media IS so liberal perfectly explains why alternative media (blogs, talk radio, alternative print magazines) are so dominated by conservatives - it's because they have nowhere else to go.

3 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Blogger MSR said...

Bo-

To be perfectly honest, I really try to avoid discussing politics with the few friends I have up here (actually, only 1 I think) who are Dems. However, from my exchanges over the past year or so with the occasional Dem, I would say that you've already touched on the most common response--they simply mention Fox News and nothing else, implicitly acknowledging that other news outlets are slanted to the left.

I agree that it's one of the single most frustrating topics to discuss with those in denial. I like to refer them to the fact that something like 92% of MSM reporters polled after '96 election voted for Clinton, an astronomically higher percentage than the MOST liberal congressional district in the COUNTRY. But I'm sure that doesn't affect the way they present the news. I also point out the recent study done on media bias by professors from Stanford and the University of Chicago (the bastions of conservatism that they are) that found a pervasive liberal media bias and found that Fox News Special Report was the only outlet not to the left of the average member of Congress. Maybe you should ask them why liberal talk radio has failed, while its conservative counterpart has flourished. Could it be that, as one Northwestern professor who's studied the issue put it: "Liberals, in short, do not need talk radio. They already have Dan Rather, Peter Jennings, and Tom Brokaw--not to mention NPR"?

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Bo said...

Mitchell, great, well-articulated points. You mind if I use a few of them for a column? I was thinking about writing about liberal media bias, since no one in the surrounding counties seems to believe it.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger MSR said...

By all means, Bo, please use as you see fit. I know the Clinton figure is somewhere in that neighborhood (definitely over 90%), but you might want to do a little checking to get the exact figure as well as the source.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home