Friday, September 03, 2004

Bush & Kerry

Just finished watching Bush's speech, and on the drive home heard Kerry's response. Bush did a nice job, I think. Articulated his positives, focused on his strengths, etc. As an amateur pundit (and I probably don't know what I'm talking about), but I didn't think he had to do anything other than give a decent speech to bring the convention to a nice close. After all, it's pretty clear what he has done with his four years: tax cuts, war on terror, No Child, etc. Voters have, for the vast majority, made up their minds on whether they think he was a success or failure based on these issues; all Bush had to do was remind people why he went into Iraq, why he cut taxes, etc. I liked the medical malpractice reform issue, liked the Social Security investment stuff, and he did a good job on this stuff. Whatever. I wasn't expecting a dynamic, head-turning oration, and I didn't feel like his success in two months was dependent on a 5-star speech.

Of course, Kerry still seems to be floundering. In just the short segment I heard, he mentioned Vietnam, mentioned the war on terror, mentioned abandoning the world, etc. Isn't this what he shouldn't be doing? All the polls have Bush leading by a significant margin on national security issues, on war issues. What he should have done was hammer home social problems and leave Vietnam out of the damn thing. Who is advising him? Why does he keep bringing up Vietnam? He even called out Bush and Cheney for "not serving when they had a choice" or some such thing. I guess we'll see if this works, but I thought the month of August has already established that Kerry needs to move on to something else besides Vietnam and national security.

1 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger Tortfeasor said...

Exactly. As Polipundit (and before that, the Rainmaker himself, Clay) pointed out, Kerry keeps tossing Bush right into the Vietnam-national security brier patch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home